The best of winter produce is combined with homemade jaggery vinegar to give a pickle that is as good as vegetables. The addition of cardamom and clove powder makes for a strong smelling achar.
- 2 ½ cups Mustard Oil
- 1 tbsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tbsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tbsp Onion Seeds
- 2 tbsp Garlic Pounded
- 2 tbsp Ginger Pounded
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tbsp Red Chilly powder
- 1 tsp Clove Powder
- 1 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 2 tbsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Dried Fenugreek Leaves
- 200 gm Cauliflower Florets
- 200 gm Carrot, batons
- 200 gm Turnip Slices
- 2 cups Jaggery Vinegar
- 1 ½ cup Jaggery
TO MAKE THE PICKLE
- Heat a kadai, add mustard oil.
- Once hot, add the mustard seeds and let them pop.
- Now add the Jeera and onion seeds to saute. Add ginger and garlic pounded, saute it for 2-3 mins. Now lower the heat and add turmeric, red chilly powder, cardamom powder and clove powder.
- Saute and add salt and fenugreek leaves and immediately add the carrots, turnips and cauliflower.
- Cook them uncovered for 5 mins.
- Remove from the flame and keep aside and cool completely
- Now separately mix jaggery and jaggery vinegar and give a quick boil and remove.
- Dissolve the jaggery and cool it completely.
- Next pour the vinegar into the vegetables. Allow it to cool completely and then add into a clean glass jar.
Note: It is said kids who hate vegetables, love the taste of the same vegetable in this avatar of pickle.